The 968 sq. km. National Park is located in the mid-to-far western Terai, in a remote area of Nepal bordered by the Karnali River. 585 kilometers separate it from Kathmandu. In southern Nepal, the park is the area of wilderness that is both the largest and least populated. Despite being the largest park, it is the one that international tourists visit the least. Sal jungle covers around 70% of the park, with grassland, grassland, and riverine woodland making up the remaining 30%. There are eight distinct ecosystem types in the park. The park's administrative offices are located in Thakurdwara, which is also where our resort is located. The "Tharu," an indigenous ethnic group, live nearby in lovely villages and fields.
Currently, a plan to extend the park further north and eastward is under consideration. Bardia has a significant emphasis on conservation, and the park's perfect setting for animal research complements its role as a refuge for several species. The WWF and the King Mahendra Trust for Nature Conservation monitor animals and breeding grounds in the park. To help the villagers understand the value of and necessity for conservation, they have also put in place an educational program.
The park is home to more than 30 different types of animals, 200 different bird species, and numerous snakes, reptiles, and fish. Within the park's limits, migratory and resident birds can both be found. In addition to the various more common animals and birds, 19 of Nepal's 39 constitutionally protected species can be found in the Royal Bardia National Park. These include the Gangetic dolphin, the Gharial crocodile, the one-horned rhinoceros, the wild Asian elephant, the Bengali tiger, the swamp deer, and the black buck antelope. The Bengal florican, the silver-eared mesia, and the Sarus crane are examples of endangered birds. According to the WWF, the Royal Bardia National Park is crucial to the survival of the tiger population worldwide. Therefore, it is not unexpected to learn that Bardia offers Nepal's best chance to see a Bengal tiger.
HOW TO GET HERE: A daily bus travels 585 kilometers from Kathmandu. By car, it takes about 14 hours to get there. An identical bus service connects Pokhara with Forest Hideaway.
Flying is another option for getting to Nepalganj from Kathmandu. The flight takes roughly an hour, and a two-hour jeep transfer is available from Nepalgunj airport to Forest Hideaway.
Mahendranagar, located on the western Nepal-India border, is another way for you to reach our location from India. By car, it takes twelve hours to get from Delhi to Mahendranagar, then another three hours to get to our cottage.
When should I arrive? The months of October through June are the ideal times to explore Royal Bardia National Park. For reservations in November and December, make them in advance.
Should you bring anything? We advise you to carry, in addition to seasonally appropriate clothing, walking shoes, rubber sandals, modest swimwear, a sun hat, sunscreen, insect repellant, any personal medications you may need, a torch, binoculars, additional batteries, a camera, and spare film.